Since my blog post of African American Men We Need You I felt the need to reflect on some of the conversations I have had with so-called Black/African American men; particularly those who claim that they are unable (and in some cases) unwilling to understand so-called Black/African American women. Married, partnered, divorced and/or estranged, there were some critical areas that no matter how much we dialogue, some were earnestly interested in engaging their ladies; yet most could care less, were ready to leave, and were adamant that their women should just “fall in line”. Thus, African American Men We Need You…Now.
1. We admire your high expectations for us. When we are less than stellar please refrain from isolating – it’s hurtful.
2. We are women; a man’s world if often closed to us. Please allow us in – it makes us feel special.
3. We value consistency; when we hear “I will try to do better” we believe you – it makes us feel loved.
4. We like our opinion to be considered; don’t shut us out – it makes us feel dismissed.
5. We talk; “shutting us down” or telling us to “shut up” is disrespectful – it makes us feel small.
6. We need big, long hugs and embraces often; the world hands our asses to us, too – it makes us feel supported.
7. We revel off of gratitude; “Thank You”, “Proud of You”, and “Great Job” – it makes us feel empowered.
8. We desire exclusive relationships – NO, we do not just want to have “fun” – it makes us feel like whores.
9. We look forward to cooking for you and catering to you – it makes us feel FEMININE!
10. WE LOOOOVE SEX!!! WE GIVE IT FREELY IN A COMMITTED, MONOGAMOUS RELATIONSHIP/MARRIAGE…ESPECIALLY WHEN AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN WORK ON 1-9! WE ARE WILLING TO MEET YOU 100%!
As always, not and indictment, just an observation…in love